Much of DLD’s work is accomplished by committees, each of which is charged with duties specified in the organization’s bylaws. Committees are composed of a chair and members, each of whom serves a three-year term. Committee chairs are appointed by the president with the advice of the Executive Board and the chairs, in turn, appoint at least six members of their committees in a rotation so that one third of the membership is new each year. To be a member of a committee, one must be a member of DLD; those members who are interested in joining a committee should contact the appropriate committee chair directly or DLD’s executive director.
Publications and Communications Committee
Debbie Holzberg, University of North Carolina, Greensboro
The Publications and Communications Committee
- Coordinates the publication of the Division’s professional journal (Learning Disabilities Research and Practice) and newsletter (New Times for DLD);
- Reviews the publications structure of the Division;
- Recommends to the Executive Board the publications which should be issued by the Division;
- Recommends policies and procedures related to their growth and development; and
- Assumes responsibilities for the Samuel A. Kirk Awards, the Division’s annual awards which recognize excellence in professional journal articles that have been published in Learning Disabilities Research and Practice.
Michael Solis, Chairperson, University of California Riverside
Shawn Datchuk, The University of Iowa Jessica Toste, University of Texas at Austin Garrett Roberts, University of Denver Jonte Myers, Georgia State University Kristin Panos, Wichita State University Kelly Williams, Indiana University Bloomington Colby Hall, University of Virginia Ben Clarke, University of Oregon
The Research Committee
- Reviews current research in the field of learning disabilities and related disciplines, and reports noteworthy findings to the membership through Division publications;
- Encourages the continuation of quality research in the field of learning disabilities;
- Takes responsibility for procedures with regard to the Annual Dissertation Award.
Professional Development, Standards, and Ethics Committee
Elizabeth Hughes, Chairperson, The Pennsylvania State University
John Romig, Co-Chairperson, The University of Texas Arlington
Jessica Toste, University of Texas at Austin
Alyson Collins, Texas State University
Vicki VanUitert, University of Virginia
Lauren Cozad, The Pennsylvania State University
Endia Lindo, Texas Christian University
The Professional Development, Standards, and Ethics Committee
- Advocates for appropriate standards to maintain high quality education and services for persons with learning disabilities;
- Promotes high quality teacher training and delivery of educational, therapeutic, and social services to individuals with learning disabilities;
- Promulgates activities which will disseminate good practices;
- Participates in appropriate committees or commissions which are developing or reviewing standards of performance for professionals in the field of learning disabilities and related fields;
- Advocates for ethical practice in the field of learning disabilities;
- Assumes responsibility for procedures for awarding the Jeannette Fleischner Career Achievement Award and the Outstanding Educator of the Year Award.
Sarah Watt, Chairperson, Miami University
The Membership Committee
- Monitor and report membership enrollment at each Executive Board meeting.
- Reconcile monthly membership reports and contact lapsed members.
- Report to CEC any inaccuracies in membership reporting.
Public Policy Committee
Lisa Goran, Chairperson, University of Missouri
David Bateman, Shippensburg University Abby Allen, Clemson University Jen Butel, Platte County School District Gino Binkert, George Mason University
The Public Policy Committee
- Studies legislative and governmental affairs relative to needs and proposals regarding learning disabilities;
- Advises the DLD Executive Board about the need to develop position papers on behalf of persons with learning disabilities or the profession;
- Distributes legislative information and action alerts to the DLD Executive Board and designated subdivision CAN contacts;
- Establishes and maintains contact with the Public Policy unit of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC);
- Establishes and maintains a CAN network and communication system with DLD subdivisions on an annual basis.
Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Committee
Shaqwana Freeman-Green, Chairperson, University of North Florida
Regina Brandon, San Diego State University Melissa Driver, Kennesaw State University Julie Brown, Portland State University Jessica Kamuru, Avila University Dia Jackson, American Institutes for Research
The Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Committee
- Develops strategies and activities to recruit DLD members from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds;
- Increases publications concerning diverse populations;
- Involves DLD within the International Network.
Digital Media Committee
Stephen Ciullo, Chairperson, Texas State University
Tiffany Peltier, NWEA Valentina Contesse, University of Florida Sarah King, University of Texas
The Digital Media Committee
- Develop a digital media strategic plan in conjunction with other committee chairs to be proposed and approved at bi-annual board meetings
- Post DLD Communication, Product launches/updates, and Events through social media mediums such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tik Tok, and other platforms.
- Communicate with DLD Membership and broader professional communities regularly through social media platforms
- Conduct activities at the direction of the president.
Erica Fry, Student Representative
The Student Activities
- DLD’s Student Representative serves as a liason to CEC, sits (ex officio) on DLD’s executive board, and coordinates student activities for DLD.